‘Limited‘ face-to-face classes need to get DepEd nod first
By Lucia F. Broñio
CALOOCAN CITY, (PIA) -- Department of Education (DepEd) Secretary Leonor Briones said schools in low risk COVID-19 areas wanting to hold limited face-to-face classes would have to seek permission from DepEd first.
“They will write a letter to the regional director and they will be the ones to approve this subject to review and approval,” Briones said in Filipino during Monday’s Malacañang press briefing with Presidential Spokesperson Secretary Harry Roque.
This, following the green light given earlier by President Rodrigo Roa Duterte to allow schools ready for limited face-to-face classes, provided they pass said review and assessment.
She said DepEd regional directors were already instructed to make an assessment as to which schools are ready for the limited face-to-face classes.
“I think the implementation of this program would not be very complicated because the structure is already in place,” Briones added.
The Secretary further explained that limited face-to-face classes are not “automatic for all schools” and would only be allowed in places assessed as low health risk and in compliance with DepEd and IATF health protocols.
Based DepEd’s guidelines, limited face-to-face classes will only be allowed in low risk areas or those already at least under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) or in the transition phase between GCQ and the “New Normal.”
“Face-to-face classes will be allowed in January, 2021, or the third quarter of the school year,” Briones said.
“However, private schools which have started limited face-to-face classes last June will be allowed to continue,” she added.
She said it may be done for one or two days and the session could be limited to important things that a child should learn. She added that La Salle and a small international school in Siquijor had already started this system in June and "it was successful."
Briones, meanwhile, cited data and said children are not as badly affected by the COVID-19 phenomenon as the elderlies.
“Out of the total confirmed cases of 67, 456 only 2,832 are children and their cases are mild. There are only 16 recorded deaths of children which is .87% of total deaths as of July 15,” she said. (PIA NCR)